Your hard work and determination finally paid off. You won the case you filed in a West Virginia magistrate court or "small claims" court. The magistrate agreed with you and the person you sued (the "defendant") has to pay you money or turn over some property that rightfully belongs to you. Congratulations!

However, just because you won doesn't necessarily mean you're going to get paid. If you're lucky, the defendant will voluntarily follow the magistrate's decision and pay you or return the property to you. Unfortunately, this doesn't happen in every case. You have some options when this happens, however, such as:

  • Getting a Writ of Execution against some of the defendant's personal property
  • Getting a Suggestee Execution against the defendant's wages
  • Getting a Suggestion of Personal Property against the defendant's property or assets being held by someone else, such as a bank
  • Getting a Writ of Possession to have specific personal property turned over to you
  • Having lien placed against the defendant's real estate

The Names Have Changed

When the suit was filed in the small claims court, you were called the "plaintiff," the person who filed the suit, and the person you sued was called the "defendant." Now that the case is over and you've won, you're now known as the judgment creditor and the defendant is called the judgment debtor.

Collection Tactics

After the magistrate decides the case and the clerk enters the judgment, the first thing you should do is talk to the defendant. See if he can pay you immediately, or try to arrange a payment schedule. If the defendant doesn't pay you, there are a few ways that the court can help you collect on the judgment.

Writ of Execution

Also known as "executing judgment," a Writ of Execution is used when you take (or "levy") some of the defendant-debtor's property or assets to pay what he owes. This is a multi-step, and often complicated process, but generally, you need to file an application with the court clerk (he can give you the forms you need). At that time, you have to be able to specify what you want levied and where it's located. Once you've been granted a Writ:

  • You have to arrange for it to be delivered to or "served on" the defendant. The clerk can explain your options for service, but usually you have to pay a fee to have it delivered by the sheriff of the area where the defendant lives or where the property is located
  • The sheriff must deliver it to the defendant. Then he may take the items listed in the Writ
  • Unless the defendant files an affidavit for exemptions, meaning that the asset can't be taken because it's protected by law, the sheriff will sell the property and arrange to have the sale proceeds delivered to you

With a Writ of Execution, you can usually get to the debtor's personal property, like jewelry, cars, and cash he has on hand.

Exempt property or money that can't be reached through the Writ includes:

  • His homestead real estate, that is, his home
  • Money in an individual retirement account (IRA)
  • Money from public assistance programs, such as worker's compensation, unemployment and Social Security benefits, and
  • Certain dollar amounts for things like household goods and clothes

You have to pay a fee when you file for the Writ, and there are fees for having the sheriff seize and sell property. The sheriff or court clerk can explain these fees to you.

Suggestee Execution

A Suggestee Execution is used to arrange for money to be taken directly out of the defendant's paycheck and paid to you. In many states this is called "garnishment" or "wage garnishment." This, too, is usually is a complicated process, but generally:

  • You have to file an affidavit for suggestee execution, and then arrange for it to be delivered to the defendant-debtor and his employer. Usually, you can pay the clerk to mail it to them
  • The employer will let the court know if it has wages or salary belonging to the defendant. If it does, it will withhold part of the defendant-debtor's weekly pay, but usually no more than 20% of his weekly net pay (he gets an exemption for part of his wages) and pay it to the court
  • The court clerk will give instructions on how to collect the money

The court clerk can give you all the forms you need for the Suggestee Execution and explain all the fees involved with it.

Pages: 1 | 2

Tagged as: Consumer Law, Contracts, Real Estate,, legal articles, West Virginia, small claims

Get Professional Help

Find a local lawyer.

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys