OH Collecting the Judgment

Obtaining a judgment against a party isn't the same thing as collecting that judgment. Post-judgment legal procedures are often required prior to any collection. You may find you need an attorney's help with post-judgment procedures.

Even if you win your lawsuit, don't expect to receive payment from the defendant in court at the trial. If you're fortunate, the defendant will voluntarily pay what the judgment states. If the defendant doesn't pay you, there are options available for collecting the money owed. However, you must figure out a way to collect your money damages without the court's assistance.

Some of your options are:

  • Garnishment of wages
  • Judgment lien on property
  • Execution of judgment

Garnishment of Wages

Garnishment of wages is where the money owed can be taken from the person's paycheck. You should seek the services of an attorney if you're seeking garnishment of the defendant's wages.

Judgment Lien on Property

If a judgment is entered by the court against the defendant, a lien automatically attaches to all property of the defendant in the county where the court is located. The lien doesn't attach to property in another county until the judgment is filed with the clerk of the court in that county.

Execution of Judgment

After you have a judgment lien, you may have the sheriff seize the defendant's property if the judgment hasn't been paid. However, Ohio law exempts many types of property from the collection of a judgment.

Once you've identified the property the defendant owns, you must take your judgment to the clerk's office in the county where the judgment was issued and ask for a writ of execution. The writ tells the sheriff to seize the property to satisfy the judgment.

The sheriff sells the property and pays you from the proceeds. This process is known as the execution of judgment. There are many laws concerning what the sheriff may or may not take to sell so you may want to discuss this with a lawyer.

Satisfaction of Judgment

After the defendant pays the full amount of the judgment and interest from the date of entry of the judgment, you need to fill out and record with the court's clerk a satisfaction of judgment form acknowledging full payment. The recorded satisfaction must be sent to the person who made the payment.

Questions for Your Attorney

  • Can an attorney help me collect a judgment?
  • How can I locate a defendant and his property?
  • What can I do if the defendant has no income but has assets and refuses to pay?

Change Location

Get Started *Please enter a valid location.

Law Firms in Ashburn, VA 
change location

Swipe to view more

Get Professional Help

Find a Consumer Law lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys
Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you