North Carolina Small Claims

What is a Small Claims Court?

What can you do if someone owes you money or has some of your property, but it's not worth enough to justify hiring an attorney? In North Carolina, this type of dispute and others can be handled by a special court. If you're in this situation, it may pay to know what "small claims court" is. More

Filing a Small Claims Suit

You took the first step when you decided to file a lawsuit to get some money you're owed or to get some property returned to you. Now the work begins. Filing a small claims suit in North Carolina requires that you know exactly who you're suing, have the right paperwork and file in the right court. More

Small Claims Trials

Now that your small claims lawsuit has been filed, it's time to get ready for the trial: The day that a North Carolina small claims court, or "magistrate court," decides who wins. It's important to know how the small claims trial process works and what you can do to help make sure that you win. More

Witnesses at a Small Claims Trial

When it's time for the trial of a case in a North Carolina small claims court (or "magistrate court"), what do you need to win? Witnesses can be a big help by supporting your version of the facts or by explaining something technical that the magistrate or jury may not understand completely. More

After Small Claims Court

Your trial date in a North Carolina small claims court (or "magistrate court") is almost here. You have all your documents and witnesses ready for the magistrate to make a decision. Now is a good to time to know what to expect after the small claims court has seen and heard all the evidence. More

Collecting the Judgment

Congratulations! The magistrate of a North Carolina small claims court agreed with you and decided that someone has your property or owes you money. Now you have to get it. Unfortunately, collecting on the judgment - getting your property or money - isn't always fast or easy. More

Alternatives to Small Claims Court

Does someone have some property that rightfully belongs to you, or won't pay some money he owes you, but you don't want to file a lawsuit to get it? Not even one in a North Carolina small claims or "magistrate" court? There are some alternatives to small claims court that may be of help to you. More

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Get Professional Help

Find a Consumer Law lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you