Nevada Small Claims

What Is Small Claims Court?

In Nevada, small claims court is designed to resolve disputes involving lawsuits for money damages up to $5,000. Court procedures are informal and simple enough for a person to file a complaint or to answer a claim without a lawyer. More

Filing a Small Claims Suit

A plaintiff begins a small claims case by filing a complaint at the justice court clerk's office. The plaintiff must file the complaint in the justice court in which the defendant resides or operates a business. The plaintiff is responsible for proper service of the small claim complaint. More

Small Claims Trials

The court assigns a case number and a tentative court date, approximately 90 to 120 days after the filing date, when a small claim is filed. Both parties should bring all witnesses and necessary papers with them when they appear for the trial. The plaintiff must prove the amount of damages. More

Witnesses at a Small Claims Trial

Witnesses are people who come to court to tell what they have seen or heard. Witnesses should be people who saw what happened or experts on the subject matter of the claim involved. Whether you're the plaintiff or the defendant, you may bring witnesses to trial to support your story. More

After Small Claims Court

Generally, the justice of the peace's decision will be announced at the end of a small claims trial but sometimes additional time is required to review the evidence or research case law before entering a final judgment. Either party may appeal a small claims case to the district court. More

Collecting the Judgment

The small claims process isn't necessarily over just because you filed a claim, went to trial and won a court judgment. You may need to take action and spend money to enforce the judgment. The court won't collect the judgment for you. More

Alternatives to Small Claims Court

There are alternative ways to solve your legal problems outside of court. These alternatives are called alternative dispute resolution or ADR for short. All forms of ADR use a neutral person to decide a case or help both sides come to an agreement without a trial. More

Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Get Professional Help

Find a Consumer Law lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you