Minnesota Small Claims

Talk to a Local Attorney

What is Small Claims Court?

What can you do if someone owes you money but it's not enough to justify hiring an attorney? In Minnesota, this type of legal problem can be handled by a special court. It's good idea for everyone to know something about what "small claims court" or "conciliation court" is and how it works. More

Filing a Small Claims Suit

Once you've decided that it's time to file a lawsuit against someone in a Minnesota conciliation or "small claims" court, the real work begins. Filing a small claims suit involves several things. You have to know exactly who you're suing, have the right paperwork, and file the suit in the right court. More

Small Claims Trials

After you've filed your lawsuit, it's time to get ready for the trial or "hearing" when the Minnesota conciliation court or "small claims" court decides if you win or lose. It's important to know how the small claims trial process works and what you can do to help your chances of winning. More

Witnesses at a Small Claims Trial

When it's time for the trial of a case in the Minnesota conciliation court (or "small claims" court), what do you need to win? Witnesses can be a big help by supporting your version of the facts or by explaining something technical that ordinary people may not understand. More

After Small Claims Court

You've got your witnesses ready and all of your bills, receipts, and canceled checks organized. You're ready for the hearing or trial of a case in a Minnesota conciliation court or "small claims court." Now is a good to time to know what you can do after the small claims court decides the case. More

Collecting the Judgment

Well done! The Minnesota conciliation court, or "small claims" court, agreed with you and decided that the person you sued (the "defendant") owes you money. Unfortunately, winning isn't always the end of the case. Collecting on the judgment - that is, getting paid - isn't always fast or easy. More

Alternatives to Small Claims Court

Does someone owe you money or have some of your personal property, but you don't want to file a lawsuit to get it, not even in a Minnesota conciliation or "small claims" court? There are alternatives to small claims court that may help you get your money or property back. More

State *
* State is Required.

Law Firms in Ashburn, VA  change location

Swipe to view more

Get Professional Help

Find a lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys
Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer