Whether you're welcoming a newborn or an older child into your heart and home, there are sure to be surprises along the way. You may think you're prepared for the changes and the chaos that the child will bring, however, do you know what all your legal rights and responsibilities are? Understand how your new child will affect your life now so to avoid hassle and confusion when you should be spending time with your child.
- All children have legal rights.
- Parents have many rights and responsibilities.
- Paternity can establish a parental connection for child support.
- There are many legal issues around IVF, embryo donation and surrogacy that haven't been resolved.
- Adopting is a wonderful thing, but it's wise to have help.
- Know the circumstances when pregnacy might affect employment.
- Pregnancy discrimination still exists. Know your rights.
- The Family and Medical Leave Act is available to knew parents of all types.
- Understand your rights to paternity leave.
- Make sure you either create a will, or update an existing will.
- Choose a guardian for your child in case something happens to you.
Health and Medical
- Get the facts on appealing health insurance denials.
- Get answers to frequently asked legal questions about the Newborns' and Mothers' Health Insurance Act.
- Understand your medical privacy rights.
- Understand the laws regarding immunization.
- Get the facts about the National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program.
- Make sure you are up to date on the car and booster seat laws and check out a local safety seat inspection station.