Divorce can be one of the hardest events in a person's life. Not only are you dealing with the financial and "rational" aspects of it, but you also have to get past your own and the other person's emotions. Knowing the ins-and-outs of settlements, alimony, child support, property division and more can be mystifying for the most well-informed. Not knowing your options can hurt you for years to come, so don't take on a divorce by yourself. Use these resources along with a great lawyer to guide you through this potentially confusing time.
- Is a legal separation a good idea?
- Can this marriage be annulled?
- Understand the effects of annulment on children and property.
Prepare for Divorce
- Divorce - Mediation-FAQs
- Use this checklist to prepare for divorce.
- This divorce glossary helps you understand what's going on during your divorce proceedings.
- Avoid mistakes during divorce.
- Is mediating your divorce the right thing to do?
- Is a collaborative divorce right for you?
Grounds for Divorce
- The difference between fault & no-fault.
- Learn about the various grounds for divorce and their defenses.
- Is it OK to date while divorcing?
Filing for Divorce
- Documents to gather when you're considering divorce
- Where do I file for divorce?
- Get the facts about ex parte divorce: when only one spouse participates.
- What steps should I take in a foreign country divorce?
- Get the facts about residency requirements.
- How to file when your spouse lives in another state.
- Find out about sister state divorce.
- How to document and track assets.
- How do I ppen and close accounts the right way?
- Understand how to deal with credit and creditors during divorce.
- Divide Your Marital Debts equitably.
- Create a Budget for the Divorce Process.
- Is it wise to Declare Bankruptcy during Divorce?
- Divorce and Taxes: Your next course of action.
- Divorced Taxpayers and Tax Return Filing Status: What you should know.
- Divorce: Tax, Innocent Spouses and Community Income
- What are the types of Property Division recognized by divorce courts?
- What states support Community Property or Equitable Distribution?
- Learn more about Pproperty division.
- Divorce Alimony FAQ
- Does my soon-to-be ex-spouse have to support me?
- Courts may order alimony.
- Who enforces court-ordered spousal support or alimony?