KS What Is Small Claims Court?

In Kansas, a small claims lawsuit is filed in the small claims division of the district court. It provides a quick, informal and inexpensive way of resolving many types of disputes. Small claims cases are filed with the clerk of the district court in the appropriate county.

The person or business that files a claim to sue another is called the plaintiff. The person or business that's sued is called the defendant. You may talk to an attorney for information, but no attorneys are allowed to represent you in small claims hearings.

Individuals or Businesses May Sue

Any person 18 years of age or older may file a small claims lawsuit. A parent or guardian may file on behalf of a minor child. A business, whether owned by an individual, a partnership or a corporation, may also file a lawsuit in small claims court.

Claim Amount

In Kansas, a small claims case is a lawsuit to settle minor disputes among parties where the dollar amount involved is $4,000 or less, excluding costs and interest. If the amount you're owed isn't significantly more than $4,000, you may want to cut your losses and go after only $4,000 of it, so that you can sue in small claims court, where the procedures are simpler and faster than in other courts.

Cases Suitable for Small Claims Court

Many different kinds of cases go to small claims court. Some of the most common cases involve:

  • Goods or services sold
  • Money loans
  • Auto negligence
  • Security deposit refunds
  • Unpaid rent
  • Minor accidents
  • Landlord/tenant disputes
  • Credit card problems
  • Car repair disputes
  • Property damage
  • Breach of contract
  • Product liability
  • Fraud

Statute of Limitations

The statute of limitations is the amount of time you have to file your lawsuit after an incident occurs. The length of time you have to file a claim in court varies depending on the subject matter and circumstances of your claim. Therefore, you should file your case as soon as possible.

Court Forms

The clerk of the court will provide you with the claim forms to fill out to start the lawsuit. These forms must be delivered to the other party to give adequate notice of the lawsuit.


An attorney can advise you on the validity of your claim as well as on what evidence you'll need to prove your claim. However, no attorneys are allowed to represent you in small claims hearings in Kansas.

Clerk's Duties

The clerk of court will assist with the preparation of a small claims petition and other papers to be filed in the lawsuit at the request of any litigant. The clerk also furnishes all parties with a memorandum of the day and hour set for the trial, if there's to be a trial.

Default Judgment

The defendant is required to defend his position after receiving the complaint. If he fails to do this, the court may enter a default judgment in your favor. You'll still need to show the court that your claim is valid.


At trial, you'll explain your claims and support your position first. This is when you can bring your witnesses. The law requires the person who brings the case to prove that they have a valid claim. Jury trials aren't allowed in small claims court in Kansas.


Sometimes the judge won't decide the case immediately. Instead, the judge may send the ruling, or judgment, to the parties at a later date. If the judgment is in your favor, you're entitled to seek payment from the losing party.

Questions for Your Attorney

  • If my claim is for over $4,000, should I still file a lawsuit in small claims court?
  • Is a pretrial conference required or can I skip it and go right to trial?
  • Can I sue a state or federal agency in small claims court?
Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer

Get Professional Help

Find a Consumer Law lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys

Talk to an attorney

How It Works

  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Choose attorneys to contact you