Kansas Small Claims

Talk to a Local Attorney

What is Small Claims Court?

In Kansas, a small claims lawsuit is filed in the small claims division of the district court. It provides a quick and inexpensive way of resolving many types of disputes you may have with particular individuals or companies. Small claims court can hear only lawsuits in the amount of $4,000 or less. More

Filing a Small Claims Suit

The first step in filing a small claims lawsuit in Kansas is obtaining and filling out a small claims petition. Once this form is filed, the petition and a summons must be served in person or by mail to the defendant to provide adequate notice of the lawsuit. More

Small Claims Trials

In Kansas, parties to a small claims lawsuit may settle the claim through stipulation or mediation. If the parties are unable to reach an agreement, they must appear for trial. At trial, both parties have the chance to speak to the judge and ask questions of each other and witnesses. More

Witnesses at a Small Claims Trial

Witnesses are people who come to court to tell what they've seen or heard. If you believe someone can provide essential information, but the person is unwilling to appear in court, ask the clerk of court to issue a witness subpoena compelling the person to appear. More

After Small Claims Court

After a judgment in a small claims trial, an unsatisfied party may file an appeal to the district court within 10 days from the date of the judgment. The hearing on appeal is more formal than the trial hearing. Parties may be represented by attorneys at the appeal hearing. More

Collecting the Judgment

Obtaining a judgment against a party isn't the same thing as collecting that judgment. Post-judgment legal procedures are often required prior to any collection. In Kansas, you have multiple options to collect the money that's owed to you. More

Alternatives to Small Claims Court

Mediation is an alternative to small claims court. It's an informal process in which the parties work out a solution to their problem with the help of a neutral person called the mediator. The process is designed to assist the parties in reaching a mutually acceptable and voluntary agreement. More

State *
* State is Required.

Law Firms in Ashburn, VA  change location

Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC

5.0/5.0 AV Rating

View Phone


Margaret A. O'Reilly, PC

5.0/5.0 AV Rating

View Phone


Swipe to view more

Get Professional Help

Find a lawyer
Practice Area:
Zip Code:
How It Works
  1. Briefly tell us about your case
  2. Provide your contact information
  3. Connect with local attorneys
Have a legal question?
Get answers from local attorneys.
It's free and easy.
Ask a Lawyer