> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Divorce > How long after husband signs initial divorce papers will it be final?

How long after husband signs initial divorce papers will it be final?

1 Answers. Asked on May 09th, 2013 on Divorce - New York
More details to this question:
My ex signed the first round of papers on 3/29/13. I'm not sure what it was, just that it was the first thing he signed. He said he was told as long as he doesn't contest within the next 20 days, the divorce would move forward. My lawyer hasn't returned my emails and I'm trying to figure out where in the process we're at now and how much longer it could take. We had no kids, all property was divided already and it was all uncontested.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on May 11th, 2013 at 7:10 AM

That can't be answered without knowing what was signed and filed. You can look in the courthouse file - but, the bottom line is that once the papers have all been signed and filed it takes anywhere from two weeks to a year for a judge to get to your uncontested case - and how long depends on the county in which the filings were made and the backlog in that county on the day you filed.

In case it isn't obvious, please note that the posting above may be considered attorney advertising.

Report Abuse
Ending a marriage is more than just an emotional process--it's also a legal process. The court must approve your "dissolution of marriage" petition, and will also rule on issues related to the division of property, alimony (also known as spousal support or maintenance), child custody and child support. A divorce or family law attorney can help guide you through the divorce process, while also negotiating with your soon-to-be ex-spouse and his or her divorce lawyer. It's important to note that ethics laws prohibit the same law firm or attorney from representing both spouses in a divorce. Even if your divorce is an amicable one, it's critical to have your own legal representation to ensure that you're treated fairly at all stages of the divorce proceeding.
Have an Divorce Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Divorce Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums