> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Litigation > How do I take someone to court for money that they owe me?

How do I take someone to court for money that they owe me?

1 Answers. Asked on Feb 18th, 2013 on Litigation - New Mexico
More details to this question:
My old roommates owe me $250. I have multiple text messages stating that once I signed myself off the lease they would give me the $250 that I put on the deposit but they have yet to give me the money. I just want the money they promised me. Had I known they were not going to give me the 250 I would not have signed myself off of the lease because that way I would have had access to the deposit when they moved but now I no longer do.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 20th, 2013 at 9:46 AM

Your only potential option is to consider suing the roommate in Justice Court/Small Claims Court.  There should be a Justice Court or Small Claims Court or Magistrate Court in your county.  I recommend doing some reserach on that and going to the Court to talk to the Clerk and get some information about how to proceed on recovering this money.  Some Courts have a limit, but the Clerk should be able to help you with that.  Start here:

Best of luck!

NOTE:  This response is general in nature and should not be considered legal advice.  No attorney-client relationship exists or is formed by this response.

Report Abuse
Related Questions
Check out some other great questions that you might like.
Have an Litigation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Sometimes the only way to resolve a dispute with another party is through civil litigation. But litigation can be intimidating, particularly if you're on the receiving end of a lawsuit. If you've been named as the defendant in a lawsuit, hire a litigation attorney as quickly as possible. You have a limited period of time to respond after being served with the summons, complaint and notice of the lawsuit. A litigator can read the legal paperwork, review the necessary evidence, talk to witnesses and then develop a strategy to respond to the lawsuit. Often an out-of-court settlement is the ideal response for both the plaintiff and the defendant--but it may take the threat of litigation to bring both parties to the table to negotiate a mutually agreeable resolution. If a settlement can't be reached, your litigation lawyers can represent you during the trial and vigorously advocate on your behalf.
Have an Litigation Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Litigation Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Law Offices of Steven C. Weiss

Northbrook, IL

| Contact Now

Telios Law

Monument, CO

| Contact Now

Luvera Law Firm

Seattle, WA

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums