> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Wills and Probate > father died in California without will. I think he had money at JP Morgan how can I find out

father died in California without will. I think he had money at JP Morgan how can I find out

1 Answers. Asked on Jul 12th, 2013 on Wills and Probate - California
More details to this question:
He owned a condo with his girlfriend of 16 years that is not yet paid for. The title says 50/50 common. Am I entitled to anything. Will it have to go to probate. What will happen to his money in the bank. Cant find the life insurance either at this point I'm not even sure there was one. My brother says he is executor but I find that hard to believe. Where do I start to sort this mess out
Tagged as:
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jul 12th, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I am sorry for your loss and the mess you are in.

If the condo is really "tenants in common" and not "joint tenancy" then you and your brother are entitled to dad's 1/2 of the condo.

Depending on the value of his assets (more or less than $150k) will determine what level of probate is needed.

The New York Department of Finance (I think has a life insurance search form. That's free. Or you can pay $75 to for a search.

If you are confident there is no will then I wouldn't worry about what your brother says.

Go hire a probate attorney, today, and get this started.

Report Abuse
Wills and Probate
Don't make the mistake of thinking that only the rich, elderly or those with children need a last will and testament--every adult can benefit from an estate plan, including a last will and testament. Wills and probate attorneys can work with you to devise an estate plan that explains how your assets should be distributed after your death. Your lawyers can craft a strategy to reduce estate taxes and help ensure the financial security of your spouse and children. Wills and probate law firms can also guide estate executors through the probate process.
Have an Wills and Probate Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Wills and Probate Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums