> Discuss Your Legal Issue > Ask a Lawyer > Collections > Contempt of small claims court

Contempt of small claims court

1 Answers. Asked on Jun 26th, 2013 on Collections - Florida
More details to this question:
Bbeing sued for unpaid phone bill,went to court last year a judgment packet was ordered and I was supposed to submit paperwork about my assests and pay,I never receive anything but last year I got a call saying my court date was cancelled for December 7 then a notice to appear came on the 6 but court was already cancelled so I disregard the paper due to that fact.I received another letterbox contempt for not complying but I've never received any paper work requesting any type of information.What should I do now?Will they put me in jail? If I face jail time I lose my job which means no body gets anything.
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Jun 28th, 2013 at 1:57 PM

You can certainly get jail time for contempt, its simply a matter of discretion for the court and depends on what actually happened. Contempt hearings are very serious, you should hire an attorney immediately to help you. If you wish you can call our office at 813-877-6442 to arrange a free in office appointment.

Report Abuse
Are you buried deep in debt? Are creditors and collection agencies calling you? Is your paycheck being garnished to pay your bills? Are debt collectors harassing you? Even if you owe money to creditors, you still have legal rights under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act. A collections attorney can help enforce your legal rights while also negotiating debt settlements or garnishment plans with your creditors. Your lawyer can also defend you in court if you've been sued by a creditor or debt collection agency.
Have an Collections Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Collections Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Cohen Kinne Valicenti & Cook LLP

Pittsfield, MA

| Contact Now

Law Offices of Eric A. Shore

Cherry Hill, NJ

| Contact Now

Manne Law Office

Herkimer, NY

| Contact Now

Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums