Abandonment Divorce

1 Answers. Asked on Jan 29th, 2013 on Divorce - Texas
More details to this question:
My husband abandoned me 1/2/13, I do not know where he is living now. How can I divorce him and how much will this cost?
Answers Showing 1 out of 1
Answered on Feb 01st, 2013 at 4:38 PM

You need to try to locate your husband. You can file for a divorce and publish service of process if you cannot locate your husband.  However, you will not be able to alimony or child support unless he is personally served the Petition for Divorce by a process server.  You need to seek the advise of any attorney to go over your specific facts and then they can give you an estimate of the costs.

Report Abuse
Ending a marriage is more than just an emotional process--it's also a legal process. The court must approve your "dissolution of marriage" petition, and will also rule on issues related to the division of property, alimony (also known as spousal support or maintenance), child custody and child support. A divorce or family law attorney can help guide you through the divorce process, while also negotiating with your soon-to-be ex-spouse and his or her divorce lawyer. It's important to note that ethics laws prohibit the same law firm or attorney from representing both spouses in a divorce. Even if your divorce is an amicable one, it's critical to have your own legal representation to ensure that you're treated fairly at all stages of the divorce proceeding.
Have an Divorce Question?
It’s Free & Easy.
Ask a Lawyer
Divorce Local Law Firms  
In United States change location
Please select state Update
Do It Yourself Legal Forms

Popular Forums